Wednesday, January 11, 2012

we are not being punked.


it is not in God's character to punk us. as ridiculous as this sounds, i think sometimes we are tempted to think that God enjoys teasing us without ever fully giving us what we want or need. like, He'll give us high hopes and desires, build up anticipation, take us 3/4 of the way and then leave us, just lost and utterly defeated. i admit, there have been times when i thought i had God all figured out. i read into seemingly clear and obvious signs and circumstances and connected the dots to predict what would happen next, partially because that's what my heart wanted to happen. in my mind, i subconsciously created a blueprint of my future with a detailed timeline and conveniently fit God in. i said to myself, "ahh, i see where this is going..." and dismissed the possibility that He might have something else for me. even with precaution and my carefully guarded heart, i allowed my dreams and convictions to slowly take control of what my future should look like. this is a dangerous and slippery slope because whenever we have more faith in a plan than God himself, we run the risk of being offended at God when things don't pan out like it was supposed to, according to our understanding. i'm not implying that i should second guess the authenticity of the promises and calling that He has for my life. i'm just learning to give Him free reign to take me there on His terms, in His timing, whatever it looks like. as unstable and elusive as it may seem, it's incredibly liberating to know that there isn't just one way and if i'm not on this one path that i can visibly see right now, then my life shifts to backup mode. i'm gaining the wisdom to realize that when i'm disappointed and stressed that my immediate circumstances don't match exactly the way i meticulously planned, God is ultimately making it work together the way it was always meant to be and it's for my good. just because i can't see it with my eyes or perceive it with my narrow perspective doesn't mean God doesn't want to take me there. from time to time, i feel like God reveals glimpses of how He wants to use me and places in me desires and inklings for things way out of my reach, for things out of this world. while it's all very marvelous and glorious, i have no idea how i will ever get there. just then He reminds me it's not up to me to figure it out, it never has been about me. this is true freedom- giving my life to God and actually letting Him be in control, regardless of how scary or uncertain His ways. His will for my life and His commitment to make something beautiful out of me is stronger and bigger than the grandest plan i could ever have for myself. is anything too difficult for God? nope. we can insist all we want on our own way but God will always win. and that's good news- that no matter what, we're still on plan A. oh yeah, and God is NOT punking us. phew.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;

the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the LORD’s renown,
for an everlasting sign,
that will endure forever.”

Isaiah 55: 8-13

1 comment: