Tuesday, May 17, 2011

walk it out.


i guess it all started when a pastor from India spoke at church this past sunday about the extreme poverty in one of their poorest villages. i've heard and read about these appalling details seemingly a thousand times before, but for some reason, this time i couldn't get the image of children eating rats out of my head. my heart was breaking for a nation i knew nothing about and for people i will most likely never meet. still, i just brushed off the sentiment and convinced myself i was just being emotional. then later that night, at a funeral, i felt God tugging at my heart so intensely, calling me to get out of my comfort zone and really find out what it means to trust in Him alone. even though just the thought of letting go of my life of security freaked me out, the allure of getting out of my shell and doing something solely for the sake of extravagant love outweighed and overcame my fears. i reevaluated my life and knew i had to be more passionate and committed (and not just about the jets or football) and actually walk it out. truthfully, i'm very happy and content. i look forward to waking up every morning and working at a cushy job that i love. i sleep perfectly well knowing i have a bright future and a substantial savings account. i laugh often and have plenty to be excited about. but you know how sometimes you feel like you're being challenged to do something kinda crazy in order to break free of a routine and achieve an even greater perspective on life? yeah, except this isn't just for the purpose of being crazy or proving anything to anyone else. it's about stepping out of the comfortable and safe boat i've created for myself so Jesus can show me how to walk on water. i figured i could either chop off my hair again or do this. i'm doing this because i know how i'll be in the end: forever ruined for the ordinary.

“Look at the nations and watch—
and be utterly amazed.
For I am going to do something in your days
that you would not believe,
even if you were told."


Habakkuk 1:5

2 comments:

  1. awesome sister! praying for the fullness of His plan and purposes for your life...bless yah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! What an exciting season you're in!!! Just as Peter walked on water even if it was just a few steps before he started to drown, I'd rather have that breakthrough with Jesus than stay safe inside the boat!

    ReplyDelete